Lear Siegler ADM-5 service manual

Martin Peters martin at shackspace.de
Fri Mar 6 04:25:43 CST 2015

Hi Peter!

Peter Coghlan:
> Martin Peters wrote:
> >
> > Anyone owning the service manual for an ADM-5?
> > Seems like this terminal is not as common as the ADM-3(A).
> > Couldn't find it on bitsavers or anywhere else :(
> >

> I'm looking for one too.  I did find the service manual for the ADM-3A (on
> bitsavers I think) and some of the ciruitry is similar or the same so it might
> be of some use to you.

Yes, we got an ADM-3A here and I know that there are similarities.
Anyhow, it's not the same. Reassuring the details und finding out
the differences often is a lot of work.

> Unfortunately, the fault in my ADM-5 appears to be in
> a part of the circuit which they do not have in common.
>
> I wonder was the ADM-3A more common though?

I think so. The ADM-3A is documented well and you can find much
references and images of the terminal itself and its circuit board
in the web, in contrast to the ADM-5.

Ok, probably this is because of the ADM-3A being much more popular
because of it's historical impact on the Unix history and the
origins of the vi editor.

> In the college where I came across
> them, there was row after row of ADM-5 terminals but only a single ADM-3A which
> nobody liked using, mainly because there were difficulties clearing the screen.
> But 25 years later, there is much discussion of the ADM-3A and everyone seems
> to want one while the ADM-5 barely gets a mention.

Ok. Probably this is because of the ADM-3A being much more popular
because of it's historical impact on the Unix history and the
origins of the vi editor.

--map
--
Martin Peters