RK06 alignment pack

Jon Elson jonelson126 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 22:30:11 CDT 2015

On 06/18/2015 01:02 PM, tony duell wrote:

> I also seem to remember that this pack is used with a special alignement
> meter, not a 'scope. And that there are special tools for moving the heads
> I found a sort-of user manual for this on bitsavers, but no schematics of the
> meter, so no easy way to replicate it.

Yes, some drives were aligned with meters that were calibrated in +/-
micro-inches (or um, later).
The general procedure was you commanded the drive to seek to a
particular cylinder where the alignment pattern was recorded, and
slipped safety pins into the positioner to prevent sudden movements.
Then you loosened a couple socket head screws, there was a rod with an
eccentric tip that was slipped into a slot in the head mount, and
twisted, which crept the head in and out a tiny amount. When you liked
the meter reading, you then tightened the screws and moved to the next
head.

I watched this being done a number of times.

Jon