using new technology on old machines. Was: PDP-12 Restoration at the RICM

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Mon Jun 15 15:59:11 CDT 2015

> On Jun 15, 2015, at 13:53 , Pontus Pihlgren <pontus at Update.UU.SE> wrote:
> No but I would put an electric heater in a steam engine if it meant
> restoration would progress faster.

As long as you don't damage the firebox installing your heater, what's the big deal? Making first steam is going to be a gradual and careful process anyway, and using a different heat source fora while to eliminate a variable might just make sense. Or maybe it doesn't. All I know about steam was learned in that thermodynamics course back in college, so I don't know best practices for boilers, other than "I am not qualified to weld one".

> (yes, feel free to lecture me how big that heater would have to be...)

Big. VERY big. :)

And one more thing (until the next thing comes to mind): I consider this to be an enjoyable and level-headed debate, just in case anybody gets the mistaken impression that I'm trying to come down hard on Tony at all.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/