FPGA tricks - Re: using new technology on old machines. Was: PDP-12 Restoration at the RICM

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Mon Jun 15 11:18:15 CDT 2015

On 6/15/2015 9:08 AM, Toby Thain wrote:
> On 2015-06-15 9:35 AM, Dave G4UGM wrote:
>> I don't think it is over kill. If you want over kill try this:-
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALXax3Gydl8
>>
>> and FPGA implementation of the Baby or SSEM which had 32x32 bits of
> RAM. The implementation uses around 1% of the Spartan 3E 1200K gates,
> and that includes the logic to generate the VGA which is around 50% of
> the circuit. I expect to get it on a 100K gate chip but that’s still
> over-kill.
>>

> Speaking of VGA, you might like this:
>
> http://www.fpgarelated.com/showarticle/42.php
>
> --Toby

But alas the software does *not* support the older chips.
You want to make a mod 5 years down the road, sorry we do not
support that model any more. TTL needs to  be stock piled
now for the next +50 years.
I finally got 18 bit FPGA computer (DE1) design I like, that
is early 70's speed. 1.5 us core. What I am having problems
is finding a good book on Operating Systems from that Era
that is online, any one know a good book? I have software
that I need to write.
Ben.