SS10 console settings

Mike Ross tmfdmike at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 16:28:29 CDT 2015

(Both boxes are running Linux; one is the host for my SIMH TOPS-10
system, the other for KLH TOPS-20. Now I have to figure out how to
tickle them into giving a serial port login; it seems I'd forgotten
the last time I set them up they must have been configured to go
straight into X, so now the boot ends with...

Master Resource Control: runlevel 5 has been reached
Skipped services in runlevel 5:  personal-firewall.initial
personal-firewall.final
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

(repeat indefinitely)

rather than a login prompt! Grrrrrrr... one thing after another!
Thanks for help.)

Mike

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 9:22 AM, Mike Ross <tmfdmike at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, didn't notice I'd replied to an email rather than the list.
> From last night:
>
> OK I'll have to get to the bottom of this at some point, but it seems
> it WAS the cable! Tried another one and, at 9600....
>
> $$$$$   WARNING : No Keyboard Detected! $$$$$
> MMU Context Table Reg Test
> MMU Context Register Test
> MMU TLB Bit Pattern Tests
> D-Cache RAM Write/Read Test
> D-Cache PTAG Write/Read Test
> D-Cache STAG Write/Read Test
> I-Cache RAM Write/Read Test
> I-Cache PTAG Write/Read Test
> I-Cache STAG Write/Read Test
> EMC/SMC Control Regs  Tests
>
> How in hell a *cable* can result in garbage beats me. I would expect
> data, or no data - not garbage data...
>
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 3:41 AM, tony duell <ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I'm trying to resurrect a couple of Sparcstation 10 systems. Is there
>>> anything 'funny' about the serial console settings on SS10 hardware? I
>>> thought they always defaulted to 9600-n-8-1, but I get voluminous
>>> gobbledygook at that, and at every other baud rate I've tried.
>>>
>>> Both systems behave identically, so I can't assume SS10 settings are
>>> wrong. And I *am* getting data, so I don't see how it can be the
>>> cabling. Something strange about the terminal emulation mode required