Pertec Tape Drive Interface Musings

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jun 10 16:41:16 CDT 2015

On 06/10/2015 02:07 PM, Dennis Boone wrote:

> With that in mind, it might be worth having the putative new spec use a
> different name and file extension for itself.

Well, it could be, but if it were my show, I'd greatly extend the file
format to accommodate not only the occurrence of a tape error, but also
the "type" of error.    Some formatters will raise the error flag during
the transmission of a single frame in error.  It might be useful to have
some way to notate that--assuming that a controller is capable of
recording such an event.

In my case, it's mostly reading tapes and providing the data to
customers.   So blocked EBCDIC record files have already been unblocked
with EBCDIC->ASCII translation.  The .TAP file is provided as a
reference in case of my getting something really wrong.

If it's a UNIX(R)-type unlabeled tape, I extract the data between
filemarks and assign a name of 0001, 0002 and so forth.

--Chuck