DEC Runoff to any modern format conversion - MORE INFO

Ernest G. Allen eallen at owt.com
Sat Jun 6 19:01:36 CDT 2015

On Sat, 6 Jun 2015, Robert Jarratt wrote:

> Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 05:36:40
> From: Robert Jarratt <robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com>
> To: "'General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts'"
>     <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
> Subject: RE: DEC Runoff to any modern format conversion - MORE INFO
>
> I have had a go with some of Tom's files but I have encountered some
> problems. It seems the files have some commands in them that are not
> recognised by any of the versions of runoff that I have. I have tried on VMS
> 5.5-2, 7.3 and 8.4.
>
> The commands that are not recognised include (not a full list):
>
> .style header
> .autotitle
> .ebb
> .fta
> .referencepoint
>
> I have a vague recollection that DEC had some other internal version of
> runoff, and I wonder if these commands are for such a version.
>
> Anyone know?
>
> Regards
>
> Rob

The .ebb is the short version of .ENABLE BAR (for change bars).
It allows the .bb (.BEGIN BAR) and .eb (.END BAR) commands to
take effect.  Without .ebb the .bb and .eb commands don't affect
the output.  A .dbb (.DISABLE BAR) command will cause the .bb
and .eb commands to be ignored.

The .style header is a fancy one that controls which levels of
headings (1-6) have section numbers before them, which are made
into run-in headers or centered headers, and so forth.  See the
"OpenVMS DIGITAL Standard Runoff Reference Manual" at
http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04623260

I don't know about .autotitle, .fta, or .referencepoint and could
only guess.

--Ernest