8-bit Computer TV Channel Use

Chris Osborn fozztexx at fozztexx.com
Mon Jun 1 21:31:23 CDT 2015

On Jun 1, 2015, at 7:03 PM, Mark J. Blair <nf6x at nf6x.net> wrote:

> Now I'm even more curious about the reports I've heard about having trouble with video conversion, since the first cheap converter I tried seemed to work OK with an Apple //c.

Color is always the problem with converters. The cheap composite to VGA converter I have will show all the color as monochrome stripes. It has problems with the Apple II and the Atari 800, but works perfectly fine with the Commodore 64, since the C64 doesn’t use the same weird tricks to get color. I’ve read that sometimes they can handle the Apple II color fine, but there’s no way to distinguish which actual model you’re getting since the cases are all identical and they are sold by Chinese sellers. Most likely early ones worked and later ones don’t.

A couple of times I’ve also been tempted to drag my NTSC Apple IIc & ZX Spectrum with composite PAL mod down to a Best Buy and try out some small LCD TVs to see if there’s a model that can handle both.

This one looks exactly like yours, but it’s even cheaper! I wonder if it’s the same?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009A6PJKQ

Heh, found another one for 3 bucks more with Prime, so I ordered it. I wonder if I have anything I can use to split the video signal out of one of my computers so I can do a side-by-side comparison.

--
Follow me on twitter: @FozzTexx
Check out my blog: http://insentricity.com