Rescue update: DEC RC-25s + / was Re: DEC cartridge ID

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Mon Jun 1 16:26:59 CDT 2015

On 2015-Jun-01, at 10:09 AM, Robert Armstrong wrote:

>> Three RC-25 drives with a dozen-or-so cartridges. We know at least one drive works.
>
>  If you actually get an RC-25 drive working, I'd love to hear about it.  I
> have three RC25s (one actually in my 11/725 and two spares) and none of them
> work.  They were never very reliable drives, even when brand new, and are
> possibly the worst drives DEC ever made.  Fortunately for an 11/23 or 11/83
> there are lots of alternative drives available.

Well, we know one works in that it was running while we were there. Booted RT-11 off the fixed platter and then had to do some file deletion on cartridges.

As for the other two drives, we'll have to see as Rob finds time to check them. We won't be surprised if they have problems as they may well have earlier drives replaced by the functioning one. The power supply had been pulled out of one, but was still around. There are two spare logic boards for the drives, but I expect problems are more likely to be in the HDA area.

Should we end up finding a fault and succeeding in a repair, will let you know.