RM 380Z Special Control Unit (?)

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 31 12:50:10 CDT 2015

> I remember the Research Machines 380Z and wouldn't mind getting one should
> the opportunity arise. But I have no recollection of a "Special Control
> Unit", so does anyone know what this is?

The PCBs and backplane in the last photo are not standard 380Z boards. The 380Z
doesn't use edge connectors like that, the boards just slot in guides and are joined
by a 50 way IDC cable (which also carries power (!)).

To me this looks like an RML case that somebody has put an S100 backplane and
a few boards in. I don't think it's an RML product (but would love to be proved wrong).

-tony