Reforming capacitors (technical description, not politics)

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 17:10:19 CDT 2015

Capacitor technology made huge strides in the 1960s and 1970s - and has
continued to advance even to this very day. Parts that were once the size
of a Chicago bratwurst are reduced to the size of the baby gherkins that
garnish them, with better specs across the board. And if you want to count
the "supercaps" (you shouldn't), well, then everyone else might as well go
home now.

Incidentally, what exactly differentiates a computer-grade cap from any
other alum. electrolytic?

@Eric

If you're interested, I have somewhere a document from Mallory - I believe
it may be a hardbound volume, perhaps a catalog - that describes the
evolution of the multi-section aluminum can electrolytic, from the early
versions up through the "EP" (Etched Plate) and finally "FP" (Fabricated
Plate) designs. If you'd like to see it, I'll set it aside the next time I
come across it.