H960 blank panel clips

Vincent Slyngstad v.slyngstad at frontier.com
Wed Jul 29 12:04:28 CDT 2015

From: geneb: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 7:16 AM
> On Wed, 29 Jul 2015, Vincent Slyngstad wrote:
>> Are you referring to the junction of the post and the block?  That would be
>> easy enough to do (though tedious in SketchUp).
>>
> ...which is why SketchUp shouldn't be used for CAD work.  If you're using
> Windows, I strongly suggest you get DesignSpark Mechanical - it's free to
> use and has a work flow very similar to SketchUp.  If you're not using
> Windows, give the current release of FreeCAD a shot.

I have a crufty old version of DesignSpark PCB.  I'll have a look at
Mechanical.

> When it comes to CAD work, SketchUp is THE worst choice possible.

I have a friend who does this sort of thing with BobCad, and I find
that for the simple stuff, I finish faster in SketchUp.  The problem
is that Sketchup simply doesn't have "advanced features".

> You should also do your design work in metric if you expect to be having
> parts printed.  Scaling isn't a practical solution because it can
> introduce problems depending on the slicer used.

I can export in metric, but the DEC designs generally don't make much
sense unless you're doing them in power of 2 fractions of inches.
Everything is 1/8", 1/4", etc.

    Vince