PDP 11 gear finally moved

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Jul 21 03:47:56 CDT 2015

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015, tony duell wrote:
> But yes, selenium rectifiers rarely work now (although there are exceptions)
> and when they fail they can take out the mains transformer. And they smell
> horrible (think of school dinner cabbage!)

Huh? All devices with selenium rectifiers that I/we own are OK. And a
selenium rectifier only fails if overloaded. See for example the power
supply of the LGP-30:
http://computermuseum.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/dev_en/lgp30/lgp30.html
Note: the height is about 60cm, power rating IIRC somewhere between 500
and 1000W!
And all my radio/TV sets with selenium rectifiers are OK, too. I had to
replace one in my TV as it had a too high resistance, but only because I
didn't know at that time that I could re-fasten the nuts of the rectifier
(selenium rectifier plates can suffer from contact resistances).

Christian