Linear Power Supply (Conversion Equipment Corp) from a basic four 510

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Sun Jul 19 19:59:17 CDT 2015

On 7/19/2015 2:43 PM, Armin Diehl wrote:
> Yes, that is all correct. The first machines used by Basic Four (later
> MAI) were Microdata machines. Basic Four released BB1 (Business Basic
> Level 1) and BB2 on these machines. These were the “blue” ones, e.g.
> http://www.ricomputermuseum.org/Home/equipment/mai-basic-four-model-1200
>
> Schematics for these are available at
> http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/basicFour/
>

> Later they delivered BB3 and BB4 based on the 1300 series cpu that may
> have been developed by MAI (or are these “only” optimized Microdata
> designs ?). These are the “Orange” ones like this one:
> http://basicfour.de/mai510/pics/small/index.html
>
> I have scanned the schematics for the 1300 cpu, they are in the
> Service Manual System 200/410 starting on page 166:
> http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/mai/BFISD8035_System200_410_ServiceManual_1981.pdf
>
> I have two of these, one system 210 equipped with a 14” harddisk
> (Priam 6650-30) and a system 510 equipped with 2 trident t80 drives.
>

> Business Basic was their “operating system” on these machines. The
> basic had multi user and multi tasking capabilities as well as support
> for keyed, indexed sortfiles, ….
>

> Later they ported this on the S10 (2x z80 cpu, one main and one video
> cpu). MAI bought the hardware design as well as the CP/M 2.2
> implementation on that machine. BBM (Business Basic Micro) could be
> booted from a copy protected floppy. This implementation had all the
> capabilities BB3 had (multiuser and multitasking worked as well).
> Later they added a harddisk to this system (is was originally equipped
> with 2 80 track floppies)
>

> The first machine they completely developed by themselves where the
> MAI 2000, based on a 68010 cpu. They licensed Unos from Charles River
> Data Systems and implemented their business basic on this Unix
> compatible realtime system.
>
> I have a working model 2000 and started to write a emulator for that
> machine.
>

> Regarding the 1300 CPU, i would really know more about compatibility /
> similarity between the 1300 and the Microdata 1600. Both are
> microprogrammed and it may be (and I assume) that there are
> differences on the microcode level. May me the macrocode (correct ? I
> mean the level interpreted by the microcode) supports some similar code.

The 1300 manual on the bitsavers site is nearly identical to the
Microdata "great white" manual.  The CPU hardware is identical.

I saw a listing of the Microdata 1600 Basic four firmware and it is a
modified and cleaned up version of the Microdata 1630 firmware.

The Microdata 1600 itself is a microprogramned system, and can emulate
anything you want to take the time to write the code for the 1600
microcode to emulate.  I have firmware to run 1130, Data General Nova
and a number of other firmware sets.

It also ran the Reality firmware which is a totally unique virtual
system.  Pick Systems extended the Intertechnique version of the 1600 to
run an enhanced Pick system, and Microdata extended the design to also
expand the performance and make another 1600 based cpu to run their
Reality system.  The Reality system is of course the Pick system as well.

The unmodified as designed 1600 supports 64k of core, and that is what
the Basic four had for memory.  They implemented a macro code which
resembled the 1630 code, but had some of the really bad design decisions
fixed.  The main problem with a multiuser system using teh 1630 is that
the subroutine calls placed the return address at the address referenced
in the instruction, and began execution at the first byte beyond that.
That made multiprogramming very messy since the return addresses were
actually in the code being executed.

The basic four instructions also had a sense of executing code from
either the first 32k of memory, in a privileged mode, and in the last
32k in a user mode.  I didn't see the OS to know how that actually
worked.  But there were comments in the code indicating that the last
32k could be swapped.

thanks
jim

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/basicFour/TM1010_Model_1200_CPU_Tech_Man_Aug73.pdf