Reproducing old machines with newer technology (Re: PDP-12 at the RICM)

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Wed Jul 15 13:29:13 CDT 2015

Sigh.  Again, the difference is between how OPERANDS were formatted vs.
INSTRUCTIONS.  As I said, I agree that lots of machines had variable
length operands (including a couple at the bit level, which the 1400
series did not do except for an individual character).  But darn few had
variable length INSTRUCTIONS, things like operand address chaining, and
the like.

And again and again - it isn't about what is better or anything like that.

And again and again and again - it isn't about what survived into
current architectures.

Certainly the variable length instruction idea was about conserving memory.