Reproducing old machines with newer technology (Re: PDP-12 at the RICM)

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Tue Jul 14 12:49:29 CDT 2015

That's an interesting argument against using FPGAs in this sort of
application; definitely food for thought. That said, from my (admittedly
limited hobbyist and academic exposure) to FPGAs, I would expect the bulk
of of whatever's being implemented would be fairly device-agnostic ...
certainly you might have to go and recreate your "project" in the newer
version of whatever toolchain you're using for design, and you might have
to go and remap all your pads for pins in and out of the device but I'd
expect you could just take the bulk of the VHDL or Verilog implementing the
CPU and any emulated peripherals on-FPGA and basically copy and paste that
right in, no? I could see some minor tweaks being required, but certainly
nothing on the order of doing the original design.

Best,

Sean