Reproducing old machines with newer technology (Re: PDP-12 at the RICM)

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Jul 14 11:29:39 CDT 2015

> On Jul 14, 2015, at 12:23 PM, ben <bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca> wrote:
>
> On 7/13/2015 10:02 AM, Paul Koning wrote:
>
>> A different approach is to reproduce the actual logic design.  FPGAs
>> can be fed gate level models, though that’s not the most common
>> practice as I understand it.  But if you have access to that level
>> of original design data, the result can be quite accurate.
>>

> The big assumption here, is the software will NOT change the logic model
> and the details are vender specific. Altera software is BAD for doing this.

So now I know two reasons not to use AHDL.  :-)

Yes, it does require that the synthesis software doesn’t have major bugs.  And of course, the model has to be sufficiently constrained that it steers the synthesis correctly.

In my case, I haven’t reached that point yet.  My models currently only run in simulation (GHDL to be specific).

	paul