How many use old browsers (e.g. =< Netscape 4 or IE 6) as their ONLY sour...

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Thu Jul 2 19:44:40 CDT 2015

wasn't lynx  before even Internet explorer  1.0?
Heck if  you have  retro  computer  site make it look  as  old fashioned as
 you can
then it is  retro... then  if  people  don't   like  it... well... you know
the rest <grin>

lynx  might  be  too primitive...   no    screen graphics   on page as  you
 scroll

make  the retro site
 early graphical
with nasty looking fonts...
lots of 'under Construction signs
 some nasty lo res  motion gifs

Ed  _www.amecc.org_ (http://www.amecc.org)

In a message dated 7/2/2015 5:21:03 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG writes:

>  Subject: Re: How many use old browsers (e.g. =< Netscape 4 or IE 6) as
their
>  ONLY source of web content?

I didn't see the  original of this, probably (based on the headers)
because it was sent  through gmail.  But, assuming the Subject: is an
accurate guide to the  content, I may qualify.

My use of the Web falls into four  categories:

(1) At work, for work purposes, on work-owned and  work-administered
machines.  This is minimal and done when the  job in question has some
internal tool that desn't provide any saner  interface.

(2) Over others' shoulders, as it were; for example, I have  had people
hand me palmtop comput...umm, "smart phones", displaying  something I
suspect was obtained as a Web page.

(3) Scripted  fetching of, eg, webcomic image files.  (There are a
handful of  webcomics which I find worthwhile enough to bother setting
up such  scripted fetches for.)

(4) lynx.

So far, I haven't run into  anything that I care enough about to provoke
me to bother finding/building  anything more elaborate than lynx for my
own use.

Does lynx count as  "=< Netscape 4 or IE 6"?  Is my sample size of one
relevant for  your purposes?  Only you can say. :-)

/~\ The ASCII     Mouse
\ / Ribbon  Campaign
X  Against HTML         mouse at rodents-montreal.org
/ \ Email!         7D  C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27  4B