Destructive Imaging of DECTAPE II Media

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sat Jan 31 13:31:37 CST 2015

> On Jan 31, 2015, at 11:18, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:
>
> On 1/31/15 11:00 AM, Mark J. Blair wrote:
>>
>> hopefully they don't use capstan and pinch roller drive
>
> There is a maintenance manual on bitsavers
> It is servo based with an encoder attached to a roller in contact with the tape.
> The two reels are motor driven.

That sounds very promising. I'll look for the maintenance manual. I think that about the only thing that would be better would be a system where I could lift the reels and tape out of a DECTAPE II cart without needing to transfer the media linearly or do any splicing, but that would take a lot more effort. For me, the mechanical part would be a lot harder than the electronic and software parts.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/