UNIBUS PDP-11 memory expander card

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Fri Jan 30 10:38:45 CST 2015

On 2015-01-30 15:56, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>      > From: jws
>
>      > I sent a bit of this thread along to Ken Omohundro who founded Able ..
>      > If he sends anything else along, I'll get it to somewhere people can
>      > find out about it.
>
> Neat! Thanks!
>
>      > I probably have data sheets archived and I will scan them as a PDF file
>
> Those would be great - I hope they include enough detail to explain how the
> ENABLE hooked up the various busses, cache, etc! I live in hope that someone
> finds a manual, because that may be the only way these questions get answered.

Based on the product you talk about, I would guess it just appeared as
normal memory, with additional mapping to a larger memory space done in
that box. I think such a product would be really easy to make.

> Also, I wonder if the product called the "ENABLE/34" (per various brochures,
> Muuss' email, etc) and the "ENABLE" we ran in the 11/45 were actually the same
> thing, and they had just changed the name, perhaps because people might have
> assumed, from the "ENABLE/34" name, that it was only for /34's, when in fact
> it could run in any UNIBUS machine? The name change may have opened up a
> bigger market for them. Anyway, another mystery about these things!

The brochures that mentions the Enable/34 that I put in links to said it
was for the 11/34, 11/45 and 11/60.

If this was the same product as the one you had called "Enable" is
another question. Your description does not at all match the thing I was
running in an 11/34.

	Johnny