Atari 800XL RF cable (and I/O cable availability?)

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Fri Jan 23 05:19:59 CST 2015

> > 1) When hooking this up to a TV via the RF input - is there any "magic"
> > involved, or will a suitable braided co-ax TV cable with a phono connector
> > added at the Atari end do?  I know it "works" because I lashed one up
>
> Maybe... The modulator output is nominally 75 ohm, and should be linked to
> such a piece of coax. European TVs have a 75 ohm aerial input, often on what
> we call a 'Belling-Lee coax socket', so it's just a cable. US TVs, I am told, may have
> either a 75 ohm coax input, often on an F connector, or a 300 ohm balanced input
> (for parallel twin feeder cable) on a pair of screw terminals. For the former, just
> connect it up. For the latter you may need a matching transformer, aka a 'balun'
> (BALanced to UNbalanced converter). I am pretty sure you can buy these, but
> it must be possible to wind one if you can get a suitable core

I don't know whether some US televisions do this too but I have a Japanese radio
that has two screw terminals for a 300 Ohm balanced feeder and alternatively
allows a 75 Ohm unbalanced feeder to be connected between one of those terminals
and a ground terminal which is also provided.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.