HP tape drive novel repair

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Wed Jan 21 11:54:30 CST 2015

On 1/21/15 9:29 AM, Jay West wrote:
> If
> someone designs a replacement that is for the prior generation (7905, 06,
> 25M, etc.) then the HP-IB users are left out which makes the target "market"
> smaller

They are fundamentally different problems. You want a dumb little box with an
HPIB connector that does not require new drivers in the SS80/CS80 space and
a single 2100 form factor card with compatible CTL logic for 2100s and 1000s,
similar what is being done for Omnibus and Unibus.

I was disappointed when HPDrive sources were never released, because I spent a
considerable amount of time and money to collect the CS80 peripherals that were
needed to acquire all of the IDENT information it now uses. At least (so far)
he is still distributing that information in cleartext.