PDP-8/I at the RICM

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Sun Jan 11 11:54:38 CST 2015

Once upon a time, I was troubleshooting an intermittent problem on the
PDP-8/e on the LCM exhibit floor.  What I discovered was that one of the
double-shift instructions wasn't working (which wasn't intermittent - it
failed whenever that instruction was part of the mix).  I had to get the
machine back in running condition since it was on the floor, so I swapped
in a spare CPU and set the other boards aside for further analysis - and of
course, that's where they still sit.  :-)  But this illustrates the point
made here: the ICs do change in their timing characteristics over time, and
some of these designs were right on the hairy edge of specs.  Another
illustration of that: a one-shot in the data-break controller (ISTR) that
was being used (by design, per the engineering drawings) right at the lower
edge of its timing range.

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS
Ph.D. Candidate

An optimist sees a glass half full. A pessimist sees it half empty. An
engineer sees it twice as large as it needs to be.