Bay Area: IBM 4341 and HP3000

Dave G4UGM dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 11:15:22 CST 2015

Seems to me as several have viewed and walked away the price should be coming down not going up. I also bet the important things such as the MAPS and Hardware manuals are missing, He might have tape drives but does he have any tapes? So whilst I haven't seen it I can't comment on how salvageable this 4341 is, but even if it had been carefully removed, re-installing after 10 years in good storage would be a challenge.

I had a 4361 installed in a lecture theatre in a local University. It was shipped by IBM from its previous location so it was well packed etc. It was a nightmare getting enough power to run the thing. We needed around 60amps 240v three phase. I just wish I had kept the Physical Planning Manuals.

Given the condition reports I have seen I imagine it will go for scrap, I don't think there is much gold in a 4341 but there is a lot of steel...
.. Reminds me of the case of the Blackpool Vulcan bomber sold on e-bay for £15,000. Estimated cost of move £20K + £1k per week storage costs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/4181657.stm

it was eventually sold for scrap for £4000.  I don't know if the vendor was ever paid his money. I think probably not...
.. the buyer now apparently has a Harrier Jump Jet instead....

Dave Wade
G4UGM

(When this happened £1 was about $1.10)