Repairing A4000 leaky NiCd damage?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Jan 2 03:36:19 CST 2015

On Fri, Jan 02, 2015 at 01:23:14AM -0500, Ethan Dicks wrote:
[...]

You didn't say what kind of A4000, but I'm assuming you are referring to the
Amiga, as this is a known problem.

> I know the general process, but I'm curious if anyone has done this
> specifically to an A4000 board and has any tips.  As I said, I'm probably
> going to have to pull the DIMM socket to get to all the damage.

I've never had much luck with this kind of repair, but the A4000 repair always
sounded particularly difficult and liable to fail.  Still, if you've got the
right tools and are patient and careful, you won't be worse off than if you
didn't bother at all.

> Barring success from running a dozen or so repair wires, would anyone happen
> to have a lead on an A4000 motherboard?  Everything else in the machine
> should be good, the Daughter Card, the CPU card, etc...

I've got a surplus spare from a part-stripped carcass I bought back in 2001 to
try and clear a fault in my own A4000.  However, a motherboard swap failed to
clear the fault I had.  What this would imply is that both boards are OK since
the failure was sufficiently bizarre that it was unlikely that both would fail
identically, but since I've not conclusively seen either of them work for
nearly two decades, I wouldn't like to offer any sort of guarantee.

These boards also turn up on eBay in the USA, which might be a better bet.  As
far as I can tell, the same boards were used in both NTSC and PAL machines and
a jumper configures the video standard.  (I sometimes re-jumpered mine for NTSC
to reduce display flicker.)