3.5" floppy failure mode? Hub not attched to media.

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 18:29:40 CST 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com>
To: <General at classiccmp.org>;
"Discussion at classiccmp.org:On-Topic and Off-Topic
Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2015 7:09 PM
Subject: Re: 3.5" floppy failure mode? Hub not
attched to media.

> I've got several Drivetek drives, including the
> later Kodak versions, and I can't ever recall
> seeing the "flag" on the fine positioner move
> once the drive was on-track.  So, while it may
> have been possible to compensate for
> eccentricity, I'm not aware that it was done.
>
> Since neither you nor I are willing to spend the
> time to investigate real-world samples, I think
> the discussion is academic at best.
>
> --Chuck

----- Reply -----

Well, it could be that all your disks were
perfectly centered or it was such a small and/or
quick adjustment that it wouldn't be easily
visible; on the other hand, just because it was
possible and patented doesn't mean that it was
actually implemented in that way or even proved
necessary in real world use.

As you say, unless someone spends the time to
scope the fine stepper on a purposely
'eccentrified' diskette it's an academic
discussion, but an interesting read all the same.
Thanks.