PDP-8, PDP-8er, PDP-8est @ VCF East

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 15:46:10 CST 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 3:37 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015, Kyle Owen wrote:
>

>> Rumor has it that two PDP-8s will be competing in a chess tournament.
>> Either way, a PDP-8 is either going to win or end in a stalemate.
>>

>    Can my TRS-80 Model 4 play your PDP-8?  :-)

Don't see why not! A friend and I battled my PDP-8/M against his VIC-20. I
seem to recall the VIC winning. We had to enter the moves in by hand to
each machine.

My goal for this year's festivities will be having a modern computer
mediate the moves between the two computers, all while displaying the
current board configuration. All this to say...I better get started! :)

I was thinking about expanding the push-down list so that the PDP-8 would
be capable of thinking about more moves, but that may turn the game into a
day-long venture. Blitz mode might be a little more bearable for audience
members.