DEC MKA11 and/or M8261/M8163

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Mon Feb 16 10:23:40 CST 2015

On 2015-02-16 10:28, Paul Birkel wrote:
> Need more experience finding Waldo, too!  I see that only C/D have the
> MKA11 in their associated-rack, so that's 1 Mw/CPU in the configuration
> seen.

It don't make sense to talk about the memory as per CPU, since it is
shared between all CPUs...

> What's going on in the A/B associated racks?  I see what appear to be three
> BA11-L chassis (lower-A; upper- & lower-B).  And then a non-standard
> forward-facing vertical-orientation quad-height(?) module-cage in mid-B
> (any ideas as to what that might be; the bit of backplane visible to the
> left looks more like something QBus-era)?  Finally there's the large blank
> cover in upper-A ...
>
> What role might the 11/44(?) have played (really fancy serial-console)?
> Looks rather aged in appearance; surprising.

The serial consoles are the four LA120 in front of the system. Each CPU
has its own console.

What 11/44 are you looking at?

> Would those have been MASSBUS drives in that 4-wide rack-set (perhaps
> hidden behind the lower panels; not sure about the row immediately above
> that, but the two to the upper-right appear to be RL02)?

Oh, are you talking about the two double-width cabinets to the side?
Right cabinet definitely holds two RL02 (or possibly RL01) along with
two Unibux expansion boxes, from the look of it.

The left one is more tricky. Looks like two Unibus boxes there as well.

Top right, I would guess, is a DT07, which is a Unibus switch.
Top left is perhaps what you referred to as an 11/44. Not sure what it
is. I don't think it's an 11/44, or any other CPU. Possibly another
Unibus box. Below is a TK50, though.

Not sure what is below the DT07 either. Might be more parts of the DT07,
or something unrelated.

I don't think there is anything behind the panels, but either way, there
are no massbus drives there. Those require more space, and access.

	Johnny