New BBS in Maryland

Chris Osborn fozztexx at fozztexx.com
Mon Feb 9 11:28:01 CST 2015

On Feb 9, 2015, at 9:02 AM, Sean Caron <scaron at umich.edu> wrote:

> It's all about latency and jitter. If you can keep the latency and jitter
> down... and consistent... modems will actually work pretty well over VoIP
> and you can sometimes pull off some fairly high data rates... If jitter on
> the link is very bad, good luck, even at 300 baud.

I’ve actually had a 300 baud modem connect to an audio track on a CD. A long time ago when I was working at Napa Valley College, a student brought in a CD (I have no idea what band or album) that had an extra track which was a 300 baud modem recorded on it and he wanted to know what it was. To connect it to the modem I just played the track loudly and held up the handset on a phone near the speaker. It worked because at 300 baud there’s no two-way negotiation between the modems at all.

One of these days I’ll get around to trying the same thing but uploading it as a YouTube video to see if someone else can make it connect to their modem.

--
Follow me on twitter: @FozzTexx
Check out my blog: http://insentricity.com