Magnetic tape filesystem

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Sun Feb 8 20:28:33 CST 2015

On 2/8/2015 6:03 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 02/08/2015 05:50 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:
>> On 02/08/2015 07:18 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
>>> Magtape filesystems have been around since the 1950s at least, and
>>> possibly
>>> the 50s.
>>
>> Wasn't there at least one which used good ol' VHS video tape as the
>> storage medium? And by good, I mean bad.
>
> Yeah, I had one of those--just an ISA card with some connectors. It
> was S-L-O-W and not terribly reliable.  I don't recall who made it.
>
> --Chuck

Alpha Micro made a card that did backups to VHS.

Corvus had a thing called the bank, and I think they also had a gizmo to
do the tape backup to video tape.  The Bank device was just a product
they did for whatever reason.

I have a case of Bank tapes somewhere and a backup device.  The
interface was a Corvus network connection.

Jim