11/23 clock issue

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Feb 6 21:03:06 CST 2015

    > From: Tothwolf

    >> Sigh, the crystal output is dead as a doornail. Total flat-line. Guess
    >> I'm going to have to find a new one...

    > Does it have to be exactly 13MHz for the system to function correctly?
    > I have some Fox brand 13.824MHz oscillators

Actually, they are exactly 13.824MHz on the 11/23, too. Must be a standard
speed...

    > in my parts cabinets that were leftovers from something back in the mid
    > 90s (probably modem R&D).

Oh, this may be totally fantastic. I spent a chunk of time today looking for
a replacement, and so far, no luck. So you may really be a life-saver.

A generic search for 13.824MHz crystals turned up a whole bunch of SMD parts,
and a few of what I think are actual crystals (two leads), but none of those
self-contained DIP oscillator units.

I have a couple of 11/23 cards, and although the DIP oscillators on them are
from a number of different manufacturers, they all have the same number on
them: "18-12131-00", which must be some standard part number. So I tried
looking for that, and all I found were a couple of those part-finder
services. So, just for grins, I asked three of them for quotes. Only one
replied, and they couldn't find them.

So if you've got some of the DIP oscillator units, that'd be a life-saver.
I'll contact you off-list to work out the logistics? Thanks!

	Noel