Piggybacking 74LS logic chips to confirm a suspected fault

Jonas Otter jonas at otter.se
Sat Dec 26 12:40:47 CST 2015

On 2015-12-25 22:29, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 12/25/2015 01:10 PM, William Donzelli wrote:
>
>> OK, I misunderstood you. No, I have never seen one of those that was
>> not a turned pin type.
>
> TI also sold some wire-wrap sockets (gold-plated to their credit) with
> "forked" type contacts which were welded(?) to the wrap posts.  They
> had the annoying habit of separating the post from the contact fork if
> stressed too much.  Made for some frustrating debugging.
>
> I learned my lesson early on--use Augat sockets.  Your time is worth
> more than the expense.
>
> --Chuck

I also used a number of those in the beginning of my career, before I
knew better. They were truly awful. IIRC they would also lose spring
tension, causing disconnections. The gold plating was a complete waste
of money. I got some with some wirewrap equipment I bought from an
online auction a while ago. I am debating whether to throw them away or
to keep them as exhibits of remarkable crappiness.

Jonas