IBM Mainframe terminal stuff

Mike Ross tmfdmike at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 14:57:59 CST 2015

Oh that IS interesting. I have a 3172; never done anything useful with it.
Maybe time to have a play. I do remember there was a version of the 3172
that had a P/390 card in it, to allow it to run some kinds of comms stuff
that normally ran on a mainframe CPU.

Cisco sounds useful too; I'll investigate that. So with the right cabling
you could potentially hook a 3277 directly to a correctly configured Cisco
router, then (say) telnet to a Linux box... Just as you can with a 3278
connected to a correctly configured 3174? 'Correctly configured' in both
cases involving the incantation of complex and obscure runes...

Mike