VAX 4000-500 PSU Overload?

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 19 04:56:28 CST 2015

Actually, I may have just narrowed it down a bit. I connected a 12V DC bulb
to the -12 output, in parallel to a 15R resistor, and the PSU shuts down
immediately. The 12V bulb has a 21W rating. If my calculations are correct,
that means the bulb draws 1.75A. The 15R resistor would draw 0.8A. So a
total of 2.5A, which is well under the spec of 4A, but causes the PSU to
shutdown. Using the 5W filament of the bulb does not cause the PSU to shut
down.

Is there a flaw in my calculations, or am I really not overloading the -12V
supply? Just to recap I had a 15R resistor and a 12V DC 21W bulb in
parallel, on the -12V output.

Looks like I have an avenue to explore.

Thanks

Rob