What did computers without screens do?

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Mon Dec 14 16:16:38 CST 2015

And think of all the PDP-8s *still* buried in the control units of
factories across the world.  The majority of these machines had no
displays, not even teleprinters.  Some had custom controls wired in through
stock or custom modules, and some had no more "UI" than the front panel
("set switches 2 and 3 to the 'on' position and press the 'run' key").
Some didn't even have that - the stock 8/m was a turnkey system.  The
reasoning was the same as that behind the microcontroller replacing the
555: complex behavior could be modeled in software rather than intricate
analog elements, and it was easy to change things if you needed to (e.g.,
if you changed out an instrument or effector.  -- Ian

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."