PDP 11/05 S vs 11/05 NC

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 12:33:48 CST 2015

> Just to change the subject..
>
> There were "S" and an "NC" version of 11/05 high profile system.  Why?
>
> I am curious if any DEC historians here know the reason for two versions of
> the same DEC PDP 11/05 *high profile* computer (not talking about the low
> profile).    There are separate manuals for each type.

Age? The NC (and ND if you are in 230VAC area) are in the BA11-D chassis
which uses the H750 PSU. The same chassis was used by for example 11/35.
The H750 PSU has partly the same assemblies  as the low PDP-11/05 chassis
and then also a H744. The memory system is somewhat different in that the
H214 is 8kW and the H217 is 16kW and the former is used in the NC/ND while
the S uses the latter.

But of course there can be all sorts of other reasons as well.

/Mattis