Anyone interested in old (PDP-8 driven) Radio Automation hardware?

Alexis Kotlowy thrashbarg at kaput.homeunix.org
Tue Dec 8 22:54:16 CST 2015

On 9/12/2015 2:26 PM, Josh Dersch wrote:
> My understanding is that this system hooked to banks of what were
> essentially 8-track tape drives, each of which held a short loop of tape
> (containing a song, an ad, call info, etc.) and the 8/m was programmed with
> a playlist of sorts so that even in the early 70s you didn't need to have a
> real DJ on premises to run a radio station.  (I had no idea this sort of
> thing went back that far!)

Very interesting. The cartridges were probably NAB cartridges. See
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fidelipac>. I got a pile of these from
a guy who worked at the ABC (Australia), mostly studio-link failure
apology announcements and a few calibration tapes.

The content is usually very interesting on these old cartridges. It'd
be a shame if the radio station just threw them out!

Alexis.