SCSI Questions (Was: "Re: Purchased a Microvax 3800")

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Dec 7 14:14:04 CST 2015

> On Dec 7, 2015, at 2:56 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at Update.UU.SE> wrote:
>
> On 2015-12-07 20:36, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove wrote:
>> On 7 December 2015 at 14:29, Johnny Billquist <bqt at update.uu.se> wrote:
>>> I think all (modern PDP-11) OSes can install from TMSCP tapes. RSTS/E is
>>> more picky than some others, though, if I remember right...
>>>
>> Yes, RSTS/E installs from TMSCP just fine (as can RSX-11/M+); I know
>> that in simh you can bring up Ultrix-11 3.1 only on TMSCP
>> (specifically a TK50), at least if you want all of the packages to
>> install. I've installed RSTS/E 10.1-L from MASSBUS, TS11, TM11, and
>> TMSCP in my various experimentation with emulation, it really doesn't
>> care what the tape is as long as your SYSGEN device is consistent.
>
> Actually, RSTS/E have some issues with install if the tape isn't write locked. I thought it was some combo/confusion between TK50 and TK70, but it was the write lock issue that I sortof remembered...

That doesn't sound quite right.  RSTS/E treats a boot disk as an installation (kit) disk if its file system is marked as read-only.  (That's the file system flags, not the drive write protect button).  If you boot such a disk, it goes to the installation dialog rather than the system start dialog.

If you boot from tape, you'll also (always) end up in the installation dialog since the assumption is that the only bootable tapes out there are install kits.

	paul