Evotek Winchester Harddisk

Tom Gardner t.gardner at computer.org
Mon Dec 7 13:26:45 CST 2015

Sorry If I didn't make myself clear, I am suggesting one never acquire an Evotek drive today other than perhaps as an historical curiosity.

The Finch was a short lived 8-inch HDD that went up to 42 MB unformatted BUT according to Disk/Trend It did not use an ST506 interface but instead came with this  variety of interfaces: Finch, LDI, SMD or SA1000!  So your problem is likely to be finding a drive that matches the interface of yr controller card.   Some possibilities

·         Finch interface was available on certain CDC Wren 5½-inch models, e.g. 9415

·         SA1000 interface was available on the 8-inch Quantum Q2000

·         SMD interface was available on CDC 8-inch FSD models; e.g., 9715

·         I have no idea what LDI was

BTW the ST506 interface is a copy of SA1000 interface with the major difference being a slightly higher data rate so any ST506 might actually work but the problem might be low level formatting due to the unexpected track length.  Depends upon the formatting utility

If u know what interface u need I can suggest models

Tom