Purchased a Microvax 3800

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 22:50:08 CST 2015

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 7:25 PM, devin davison <lyokoboy0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I purchased a m7769 DSSI controller card online, so that is one more step
> in the direction of getting the machine all together. Still waiting to find
> the controller for the tape drive and a dssi hard drive, although they look
> to be pretty affordable on ebay.
>
> Just figured id post about it here, to  show my progress twords getting it
> running.
>
> http://postimg.org/gallery/fztxjqbe/
>
> --Devin

Those pictures show an H3602 console panel for an M7626 KA660 VAX 4000
Model 200 CPU. That CPU (and also the M7624 KA640 MicroVAX 3300/3400
CPU which uses the same H3602 console panel) has a built in DSSI
controller so there shouldn't be a real need to add a separate M7769
KFQSA DSSI controller.

An M7559 TQK70 controller should be easy and cheap to find, but that's
the last thing I would spend money on myself. Dealing with TK50 / TK70
drives has never been worth the bother for me.

If I already had a working DSSI disk drive to use but no way to load
software I would consider buying an M5976 KZQSA SCSI controller which
can be used with a SCSI CD-ROM drive to install software. (Make an
offer on this one maybe: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151702502097 )

If I didn't already have a working DSSI disk drive to use I might
consider buying a general purpose SCSI controller such as an Emulex
UC07 which can be used with both SCSI disks and CD-ROMs. There are
some on eBay around the $200 range.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161129117629
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141122593003
I don't have any Emulex SCSI controller myself. I have several CMD and
Dilog SCSI controllers which work well.