Interfacing PDP 11/05 to VT 50

Joseph Lang joe.lang.0000 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 13:58:49 CST 2015

The current loop is actually "proper" .
There are 3 parts to current loop
1) transmitter (switch)
2) receiver (opto coupler in dec stuff)
3) current source

You will have problems if things don't match. An active transmitter has to connect to a passive receiver.
Passive transmitter to active receiver.
Active means it has  a current source,passive no current source.

The 11/05 is active tx active rx. So expects contacts on the keyboard and the selector magnet in the printer.
Most industrial current loop converters are not this way out of the box.

Joe