TK50/TK70 Info

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 00:04:16 CDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 11:55 PM, Mark J. Blair <nf6x at nf6x.net> wrote:

> > On Aug 27, 2015, at 21:45, Kyle Owen <kylevowen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is your 730 booting VMS yet?
>
> Yes! I can boot 7.3 (IIRC) from the R80 or 5.3 (IIRC) from the RL02. I
> haven't gotten networking up and running yet, but I did manage to make tape
> backups of the R80 and RL02 on the TU80 tape drive (I think!).
>
> I've been distracted by different squirrels for a while, but at least I
> set the project on the back burner after making some significant progress.
> I was hoping to use a TK50 on the VAX and  a TK30 on my Sun Ultra 60 to
> transfer data, but that project yielded much more frustration than success
> so far.
>
> If I gain the ability to somehow run a 1/2" magtape drive on one of my
> modern computers (Ultra 60, Macbook or Mac Pro) then that could also
> provide a way to transfer stuff in both directions.

Nice. I would like to see some more obsolete gear hooked up to modern
computers like you say. I was happy to get my punched card reader
interfaced to my MacBook, but what really impressed me was the fellow in
the northeast who got the RL02 connected via USB to a modern Linux system,
fully usable by the system. That's really cool.

Kyle