VMS 5.4 AUTHORIZE issues

Sue Skonetski Sue.Skonetski at VMSSoftware.com
Wed Aug 26 14:01:31 CDT 2015

This is Sue Skonetski from VMS Software Inc. (www.vmssoftware.com)

Welcome to the world of VMS.

One of the huge advantages is the help so at the dead sergeant prompt >> you can type in help show device, help cluster.

VMS is not case sensitive and is designed to be secure from the very start of the original development almost 40 years ago.  We still have customers who are still using this version.  As any FYI our longest record of up - time is 23 years so this is not a system that you will be patching or fixing regularly.

If you are going to be using VMS regularly I would suggest signing up for the VMS Special Interest Group (VMS SIG).

Here is the url to sign up, you can ask questions and folks will help. This is managed by Connect (think DECUS) HP’s user group.
http://listserv.encompassus.org/scripts/wa-ENCOMPASS.exe?SUBED1=VMS-SIG&A=1 <http://listserv.encompassus.org/scripts/wa-ENCOMPASS.exe?SUBED1=VMS-SIG&A=1>

For current versions of VMS which is OpenVMS v8.4-1h1  just send me email.

Also if you need repairs done on PDP, VAX and Alphas’ check out Nemonix Engineering.  I know the folks there and they can and do provide both hardware and software services, or you can just send me mail and I will do what I can.

There will be a VMS/VAX/Alpha/DEC reunion at the OpenVMS Boot Camp in Sept you may just want to see what kind of current VMS sessions there are.  My guess is that there will be more than you expected.
https://www.eiseverywhere.com/ehome/openvmsbootcamp2015/294678/

Hope this helps a little.

Sue

> On Aug 26, 2015, at 2:25 PM, Kyle Owen <kylevowen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just picked up a very complete MicroVAX 3800. I have very little experience
> with VMS as this is my first VAX. Mostly a PDP-8 guy, I suppose.
>
> I'm running through the change password procedure, which I had seen
> mentioned previously on this list:
>
> SET VAXCLUSTER 0
> SET /STARTUP OPA0:
> SET WRITESYSPARAMS 0
> CONTINUE
>
> SET NOON
> SPAWN /NOWAIT SYS$SYSTEM:STARTUP.COM
> SET DEFAULT SYS$SYSTEM
> RUN AUTHORIZE
>
> At this point, I get this:
> %DCL-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image SECURESHRP
> -CLI-E-IMGNAME, image file
> R7CY2A$DIA0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][SYSLIB]SECURESHRP.EXE;2
> -SYSTEM-F-PROTINSTALL, protected images must be installed
> $
>
> What would I need to do to correct it to login?
>
> The eventual goal is to get this online, which should be feasible. I have
> an AUI-to-10Base-T adapter (several, actually). I think that'll be a little
> while away for now, though.
>
> Here are some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/WYGra
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kyle

Sue Skonetski

VP of Customer Advocacy
Sue.Skonetski at vmssoftware.com
Office: +1 (978) 451-0116
Mobile: +1 (603) 494-9886

Mit freundlichen Grüßen – Avec mes meilleures salutations