Osborne O1 Keyboard issues

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 13:25:51 CDT 2015

I'll admit to being surprised at the cheapness of the keyboard. Here I
expected to find a true mechanical type, like the early IBM machines - what
I found is a step-down from the C-64.

The switching side is what I'd term a 'membrane sandwich. There are three
layers in the stack, with upper & lower layers forming the switch contact
pairs. Sandwiched in the middle is a perforated insulator sheet, with a
hole pattern that matches the switch contact pattern. Pressing on the right
area of the stack unites the upper & lower contacts, temporarily closing
the switch.

So I suppose if a spilled liquid infiltrated the stack, perhaps drying and
leaving a residue, it may have short-circuited any number of contact pads.

But IIRC, I was measuring +very+ low resistance in the shorted pins. I'm
not sure how even dried Coca-Cola could create that hard of a short.. so I
need to take some more careful readings. If they are truly hard-shorted,
I'd tend to look for something other than a contamination issue.