Vintage Software Copyright

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Fri Aug 21 12:58:33 CDT 2015

On 8/21/2015 10:27 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> And I don't know much about anything for non-DEC stuff. So while I hope
> there are copies of stuff around, think some before redistributing it.
>
>     Johnny

Some other licenses (or lack thereof) that make software readily
available that I am aware of include:

Most IBM Software through MVS 3.8j was issued without copyright.  Once
the Amdahl 470 came along, IBM started adding IP to their operating
system, and licensed it.  So, this includes software for the
709/7090/7094, 1401, 1410, 1130 and System/360 and System/370.

Most of the System/360 and System/370 software can be found on links
from various Hercules emulator sites.  Older software can be harder to
track down, but usually responds well to Google.

The DEC VMS Hobbyist license (though this gets a little confusing with
respect to the PAKs and obtaining media sometimes).

Burroughs MCP MARK XIII Hobbyist license, via UNISYS:
http://www.phkimpel.us/B5500/webSite/Unisys-B5500-Software-License.pdf

The licenses involved in the SimH software sets for various machines.
(See each software "pack").

The Unix archive at the Unix Heritage Society / PDP Unix Preservation
Society, via a non-commercial use license negotiated with SCO.

http://www.tuhs.org/  (but the link to the SCO license page is broken,
because SCO is gone).

http://www.mckusick.com/csrg/calder-lic.pdf  (BSD)

And probably many many more.