HP 5480A, or, obscure HP instruments / was Re: More on manuals plus rescue

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 02:01:20 CDT 2015

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 11:33 PM, Brent Hilpert <hilpert at cs.ubc.ca> wrote:
> They apparently have reused the 5480 number for some printer (. . what else), the S/N ratio for searches can be poor.
> But yes, going by the part number, that should be it, in part - the service manual is at least two volumes, that's probably Vol II.
> I may have to chance it and see what I get.

They reuse numbers for what I call "marketing numbers".   For example,
with a LaserJet 8150dn, the "8150" is a "marketing number" and not the
actual HP product number, which was C4267A.  As far as I know they've
never actually reused a product number.

I know that's no consolation when you search for "HP 5480" for that
product, and get printers or supplies with that "marketing number"
instead.