More on manuals plus rescue

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Aug 18 16:02:04 CDT 2015

    > From: Paul Koning

    > If you can, avoid black/white scans. The reason is that scanners are
    > often noisy in that mode ... Copiers used in scan mode are particularly
    > likely to do this. Such documents are also surprisingly hard to read,
    > look messy when printed, and utterly fail OCR.

I was talking about scanning prints (which is how this originally came up,
someone said 300 dpi doesn't catch the very fine printing one can find on
them - which is true, I've had issues in this regard too).

I'm using a professional-grade A3-size scanner (found on eBay for the
princely sum of $100 - it's an older model, with a SCSI interface) - for
scanning fold-out prints, the typical A4/8-1/2x11 scanner won't eat them
whole.

And of course OCR is a non-concept for prints.

For manuals (text), on the other hand, 300 dpi is of course fine.

	Noel