Classic programming

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Sat Aug 8 03:15:42 CDT 2015

On Fri, 07 Aug 2015 at 18:11:09 -0400, Sean Conner <spc at conman.org> wrote:

>   But I'm also interested in older software as well.  One of my "when I get
> around to it" projects is playing with the Viola web browser [4].  Written
> in the early 90s, it *barely* compiles on a 32-bit Unix system and while it
> may compile on a 64-bit system, it's unrunnable [5].  It has a scripting
> language built in, but it is its own scripting language that is quite
> annoying to actually use. I've been trying to update the code so it will at
> least run on modern systems, and then next, replace the scripting language
> with something more reasonable.
>

> [5] Because integers and pointers will always be 32 bits right?

The DEC C / Compaq C / HP C or whatever it is called this week compiler on
Alpha or IA64 VMS has 32 bits ints and pointers can be 32 or 64 bits.

I think the similarly named compiler on OSF1 / Digital Unix / Tru64 or
whatever that is called this week offers the same facilites.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.