Unidentified chip

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Tue Aug 4 16:29:31 CDT 2015

On 08/04/2015 1:48 PM, dwight wrote:
> This all assumes it is a TTL and not an ECL or even
> and analog chip, such as an opamp.
> Dwight

It might be possible to identify it a bit. Using the Diode Test of your
basic multi-meter you can probably figure out if there is a ground and
Vcc pins by comparing the likely candidates (pin 8 for gnd, and 16 for
Vcc) against other TTL based ICs. If they don't match then chack against
pins 5 and 12 which are alternate G & Vcc pins on some TTL.

If no joy matching to TTL, then make a log of the various pin voltages
relative to other pins and see if there is a pattern that emerges.
Compare to CMOS next, then drag out a 16 pin OP-Amp based IC and see if
it shows anything similar.

I find that inputs and outputs on TTL do show a difference in voltage
drops relative to Vcc and G, and also which way you use the probes.

I did a small write-up years ago as a starting point:

http://www.flippers.com/service.html#diode

John :-#)#

                  www.flippers.com