SPARCClassic won't boot cdrom

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Sat Aug 1 22:14:21 CDT 2015

Never had a Classic but I've wrangled plenty of other Sun workstations ...
in general I have always found SCSI on Suns to be very easygoing ... you
generally won't get SCSI errors unless something has gone grossly awry... I
assume no internal disk? If so, definitely disconnect that and give it a
shot ...

This may seem a bit counterintuitive, but have you tried it with no
terminator at all on the external CD-ROM? Sometimes that works.

If this is your first piece of Sun kit, you probably don't have any SBus
SCSI available to test? SBus SCSI 10BT+SCSI are pretty common and
inexpensive; it might be worth picking one up, if only to have something
where the MAC address isn't dependent on the viability of the IDPROM
battery... that's my number one grumble about the old Suns.

Best,

Sean